Education Instructor, Haskell Indian Nations University
This position is part of the Haskell Indian Nations University, Bureau of Indian Education. As an Instructor (Education) you will be responsible for for providing college level instruction in the field of Education to meet the education goals and objectives of Haskell Indian Nations University. The mission of Haskell Indian Nations University is to build the leadership capacity of our students by serving as the leading institution of academics.
Open & closing dates: 11/01/2019 to 11/20/2019
Pay scale & grade: GS 9 - 11
Salary: 51,853 to $81,563 per year
Appointment type: Multiple Appointment Types
Work schedule: Full-Time
Location: Lawrence, KS
As an Instructor (Education) GS-1701-9/11, your typical work assignments may include the following under supervision:
- Plan classroom instruction that meets the needs of diverse learners, actively models how to plan and teach, and utilizes technology to improve teacher candidates' use of technology in the classroom.
- Develop, maintain and improve curriculum for teacher preparation courses based on content standards and professional standards for Elementary K-6 program.
- Participate in all assessment activities of program including course objective assessment, surveys, rubrics, clinical observations, candidate dispositions and feedback to School Of Education (SOE) and teacher candidates.
- Co-sponsor student groups.
- Collaborate with SOE faculty and educators at school sites to enhance clinical experiences.
- Seek on-going professional learning in pedagogy, curriculum, assessment and program improvement.
Conditions of Employment:
- US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
- BACKGROUND SECURITY INVESTIGATION WILL BE REQUIRED FOR ALL NEW HIRES
- APPOINTMENT MAY BE SUBJECT TO A 2 YR TRIAL OR 1 YR PROBATIONARY PERIOD
- APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED ONLINE
- VALID STATE-ISSUED DRIVERS LICENSE IS REQUIRED
- TRAVEL AND RELOCATION EXPENSES WILL NOT BE PAID
- CAREER SEASONAL POSITION FOR PLACEMENT IN NON PAY STATUS A MINIMUM OF 2 WEEKS PER YEAR.
Applicants must meet the qualification requirements contained in the OPM Standards. For this position, they are listed below.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: Master's Degree or Ph. D. that included or was supplemented by major study in education or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position (typically a degree Education).
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization.
GS-09: Master's degree by major study in education or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position (typically a degree in the field of Education).
GS-11: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 grade level in the federal service or a Master's degree or Ph. D. that included or was supplemented by major study in education or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position (typically a degree in Education).
Examples of qualifying experience: full-time Instructing in a college or university developing, researching, and administering course syllabi, materials, labs and activities; delivering lectures and presentations for upper level courses in a college or university; evaluating students' progress on standards based approach; collaborated with college and university faculty on maintaining accreditation requirements; serving on or chairing numerous committees which dealt with issues such as curriculum, goals and objectives, standardized testing, staff selection, policy and negotiations.
Only experience and education obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
Status candidates must meet time-in-grade requirements (52 weeks at the next lower grade level).
Applicants are responsible for providing documentation that the educational requirements have been met. To qualify based on education you must submit a legible copy of your transcripts. Official transcripts are required upon selection if you qualified based on education.
Education must have been obtained from an accredited or pre-accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements if you can show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States.
For further information on creditable education visit:
EDUCATION: To qualify based on education; submit a copy of your transcripts or list of courses with credit hours, major, and grade-point average or class ranking. Application materials will not be returned.
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume (must be current/updated and include the following):
- Work Experience:
- Position title
- Dates of employment (include month/year)
- Hours worked per week
- Current supervisor's name and telephone number
- Duties (Please be specific and include any accomplishments)
- References (include complete name and telephone number)
- Employer - must be within the past 5 years
- Personal - three (3)
- Most recent SF-50, "Notification of Personnel Action" showing you are/were in the competitive service and the highest grade or promotion potential held (if applying as a status candidate with current or former Federal Service)
- DD-214 (member copy 4), SF-15 Form and VA letter, or certification of expected discharge or release from active duty from Veterans for consideration under Veteran hiring authorities
- Noncompetitive appointment authority documentation, if applicable
- Career Transition Assistance Program/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program Documentation, if applicable (e.g. Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal.)?
- OF-306 (Declaration of Federal Employment) sign and dated: https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/OF0306.pdf
- Applicant Screening Questionnaire: https://bie.edu/cs/groups/xbie/documents/collection/idc012837.pdf
- College transcript(s), if the position has an education requirement.
2. Other supporting documents:
- Form BIA 4432, Verification of Indian Preference for Employment (required for claiming Indian Preference). The form must be completed by the appropriate official with the federally-recognized tribe where the applicant is enrolled as a member. No other form will be accepted.
- Cover Letter, optional
NOTE: Persons submitting incomplete applications will be given credit only for the information they provide. The applicant is responsible for submitting all required documentation in support of their application in order to receive full credit for their Indian preference, veteran preference, experience, training, and/or education. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL NOT BE SOLICITED FROM THIS OFFICE.
DRIVING REQUIREMENT (Required only at time of appointment): Incumbent may be required, as an incidental duty, to operate a government-owned or leased motor vehicle, in the performance of duties, therefore, a valid driver's license is required. Incumbent must have a safe driving record within the three-year period immediately preceding submittal of GSA Form 3607 and be able to meet the safe driving requirements of the Bureau of Indian Education.