Golf Tournament Operations Intern
The Minnesota PGA is one of 41 Sections of the Professional Golfers' Association of America. The PGA of America, formed in 1916, has grown into the world's largest working sports organization with more than 27,000 members and apprentices. The mission of the Minnesota PGA is to promote the enjoyment and involvement in the game of golf and to contribute to its growth by providing services to golf professionals and the golf industry. The Minnesota PGA is comprised of approximately 600 PGA Members and apprentices in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota (less areas surrounding cities of Rapid City, Vermillion, and Yankton), and a portion of Western Wisconsin that includes St. Croix County and Superior, Wisconsin. Activities of our organization include competitive golf tournaments and events for our PGA Members as well as amateur golfers, education programs, growth of the game programs, membership communication and association governance.
The Minnesota PGA also operates a non-profit and charitable foundation called PGA REACH Minnesota that focuses on three pillars: youth, military, and inclusion.
The Minnesota Section of The PGA of America is recognized by the IRS as a 501 (C) (6) non-profit professional trade organization. PGA REACH Minnesota is recognized by the IRS as a 501 (C) (3) non-profit charitable organization.
1. Three (3) month paid Minnesota PGA Internship
2. Mid May through Late August 2020
This blended internship will give the intern experience in all areas of Section tournament activities, including planning, coordinating, course set up, signage, scoring, rules, and other aspects of PGA Member events, Junior Golf tournaments, and national and local Foundation events. These interns will travel throughout Minnesota, North and South Dakota to assist in conducting all 18 Drive Chip and Putt local and sub-regional qualifying events, PGA Jr League post-season events, PGA REACH charity events (100 HOLES for HOPE, Tapemark Minnesota PGA Pro-Am, and Bad Pants Open) as well as all Section tournaments, events, and matches. Interns will spend time in each targeted area throughout the internship.
PLAYER DEVELOPMENT RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assist with preparation, set up, and execution of all Drive Chip and Putt events.
2. Coordinate and officiate PGA Jr League post-season events.
3. Assist with all Player Development initiatives as assigned by full-time staff.
4. Assist with MN Section tournaments (Minnesota State Open, Tapemark Pro-Am)
1. Provide assistance at various Section Member tournaments & PGA Tour qualifiers
2. Golf course set-up and preparation, including course marking
3. Scoring of players & scoreboard creation/management, including use of calligraphy
4. Signage creation and on-course staging
5. Rules officiating, pace of play enforcement, and volunteer coordination
6. Equipment inventory, maintenance and replenishment
JUNIOR GOLF INTERN RESPONSIBILITIES:
7. Assist Staff in coordinating Junior tournaments.
8. Coordinate Junior Golf events including pairings, course contacts, and scoring.
9. Support Staff with rules officiating, pace of play enforcement, and volunteer coordination.
10. Work closely with Staff to oversee equipment inventory, maintenance and replenishment.
11. Daily office duties including but not limited to answering the phone, checking voicemail, responding to and composing emails, filing, etc.
12. Other duties as assigned.