Department of Human Resources
Hennepin County Government Center
300 South Sixth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55487
http://hennepin.jobs INVITES APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF: Transportation Planner
An Equal Opportunity Employer SALARY
$51,165.87 - $81,205.75 Annually
OPENING DATE: 11/08/19
CLOSING DATE: 11/26/19 11:59 PM Central Time
JOB TYPE: Full-time
LOCATION: Medina, MN, Minnesota
DEPARTMENT: Transportation Project Delivery
The Transportation Project Delivery Division of Hennepin County's Transportation Department is seeking a strategic, flexible, and creative thinker to join our team as a Transportation Planner. This position will assist with division-wide planning activities, technical analysis and implementation programs for improving the county's transportation system. Our Hennepin County Transportation vision is to promote economic vitality and enhance our residents' quality of life by developing and operating a safe, environmentally responsible, and comprehensive multi-modal transportation system.
Location and hours:
This position will be located at two different locations. The Public Works Facility, 1600 Prairie Drive, Medina, MN 55340, there is no public transportation to this facility and the 701 Building located at 701 4th Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55415. Typical work hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., and will be discussed in more detail at time of hire.
In this position, you will:
- Manage and direct feasibility and corridor studies.
- Develop corridor retrofit concepts utilizing software tools such as Computer Aided Design (CAD) and Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Assist with community outreach and public engagement activities.
- Prepare long range planning reports.
- Review and comment on city comprehensive plans, environmental documents, and MnDOT and Metropolitan Council plans.
Need to have:
- One of the following:
- Master's degree or higher in business administration, public administration, research methods, statistics, behavioral/social science, public health, computer science/MIS, management science, urban/city planning, or a field appropriate to the area of specialization.
- Bachelor's degree in one of the fields listed above and one or more years of relevant planning analyst experience.
- Bachelor's degree in any field and a minimum of two courses in research methods, analysis, statistics, project management, planning or evaluation and 18 or more months of relevant planning analyst experience.
- A valid driver's license and the ability to obtain a Hennepin County driver's permit.
Nice to have:
- Two or more years of experience in transportation planning, urban/city planning, or geography.
- Certification by the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) or eligibility for certification within twelve months of hire.
- Experience using geographic information systems software such as ArcGIS®.
- Experience using computer aided design software packages such as AutoCAD® or MicroStation®.
- Proficiency in the use of word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Ability to:
- Prepare plans and reports for project and program goals, implementation, and evaluation of results.
- Analyze and evaluate operational effectiveness; collect, analyze, and interpret data.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with county team members, consultants, vendors, contractors, other public agencies, private utility companies, affected property and business owners, interest groups, and the general public.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
About the department:
We envision a Transportation Department whose members are respectful of one another and the public we serve and are committed to the delivery of a safe, high-quality county highway system. We are widely trusted and recognized for innovation, collaboration and the responsible use of resources.
About Hennepin County:
Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile.
Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at www.hennepin.us/employees.
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Your future. Made here.
This position is internally classified as a Planning Analyst, Senior.
Click here to view the job classification specification.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience. Final candidates will be required to pass a background check.