Associate Scientist -Vaccine Process Development -Merck
Applications are sought for a scientific opportunity in our Company's Research and Development Division. Under the direction of the group leader, individual will be responsible for upstream process development of vaccine candidates. The successful candidate will perform lab-scale process development/scale-up studies, develop robust, efficient, scalable cell culture processes for vaccine production, participate in the manufacture of Current Good Manufacturing Practices (CGMP) clinical bulks, and transfer processes to clinical or commercial manufacturing facilities for vaccine candidates. Duties may include: lab scale fermentation, cell culture, and/or bioconjugation process development, in-process assay support, process scale-up and engineering, CGMP document preparation and modifications, maintaining/coordinating raw material, and equipment inventories, technology transfer to manufacturing, and functioning as a key member of a process development team.
Individual is expected to function in a multi-disciplinary environment and to contribute subject matter expertise to various functional teams engaged in development of the vaccine candidate. The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the ability to communicate results of his/her work in both verbal and written formats. In addition to the core responsibilities outlined above, the candidate will be expected to keep careful notes, comply with all required training, and maintain a focused attention on laboratory safety for himself and his team. Position requires employee to be willing to work with infectious agents and/or pathogens. Travel may be required to support technology transfer. This position will require occasional off hour and weekend work.
Education Minimum Requirement
- Must have a BS in engineering or biological sciences (or to be completed by Spring/Summer 2020)
Required Experience and Skills
- Must have the ability to work independently and as part of a team, self-motivation, adaptability, and a positive attitude.
- Must have ability to learn new techniques, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, keep accurate records, follow instructions, and comply with company policies.
- Proven ability to work in hands-on laboratory setting.
- Excellent organization, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Direct experience with cell culture/fermentation, upstream process development or expression system development for vaccines and/or biologics is strongly preferred.
- Experience working with viral systems within a Biosafety Level-2 (BSL-2) environment.