Senior Scientist - Vaccine Process Development- Merck
The Senior Scientist, Vaccine Process Development will support our Company's process development efforts for vaccine programs. The incumbent possesses expert knowledge in cell culture/fermentation and upstream process development. A key element of this assignment is to coordinate multiple program activities with Bioprocess Research & Development (R&D) functions, Vaccine Basic Research and various functional groups within our Company.
The successful candidate will have a strong command of animal cell culture and fermentation with practical hands - on process development experience. Individual will have excellent scientific understanding of cell biology for vaccine production including cell metabolism, molecular biology and process scale up.
The successful candidate will also provide technical and scientific leadership as a subject matter expertise to our Company vaccines programs, both in research and development, as well as in manufacturing and life cycle management. The successful candidate will guide and mentor a small team of upstream scientists and engineers to execute laboratory experiments. Participation opportunity in the overall program activities across much larger multi - functional and cross - divisional teams will also be available. The candidate must have the ability to work independently and as part of a team, be self -motivated, be adaptable, and has a positive attitude. They also has to possess the ability to learn new techniques, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, keep accurate records, follow instructions, and comply with company policies. Excellent organization, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, and proven ability to work in laboratory setting are also important.
Position requires employee to be willing to work with infectious agents and / or pathogens. Travel may be required to support technology transfer. This position will require occasional off hour and weekend work.
Education Minimum Requirement
- BS Degree in Engineering or Biological Sciences plus 7+ years of experience
- MS Degree in Engineering or Biological Sciences plus 4+ years of experience
- Ph.D. in Engineering or Biological Sciences
Required Experience and Skills
- Strong scientific understanding of fermentation and cell culture processes
- Experience with aseptic production of vaccines or therapeutic proteins
- Applied experience with processing of live viruses, vaccines, biologics, and cell culture / fermentation equipment (bioreactors, cell factories, etc)
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Experience with bioprocess scale up and technology transfer
- Strong understanding of upstream process characterization
- Strong understanding of expression system development for vaccines and / or biologics is strongly preferred
- Experience working with viral systems within a Biosafety Level-2 (BSL - 2) environment
- Strong understanding and hands-on experience in Current Good Manufacturing Practices (CGMP)