Principal, Chemawa Indian School
*PREVIOUS APPLICANTS DO NOT NEED TO RE-APPLY*
This position is part of the Chemawa Indian School, Bureau of Indian Education. As a Principal you will be responsible for coordinating and supervising the education activities of the school to include planning, developing, directing and conducting BIA school programs.
This position is filled under P.L. 95-561 and will require a contract renewal on an annual basis.
Open & closing dates: 11/08/2019 to 11/29/2019
Pay scale & grade: CE 8
Salary: $53.47 to $69.51 per hour
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Location: Salem, OR
As a Principal CE-1710-8, your typical work assignments may include the following under supervision:
- Provide professional and instructional leadership to the faculty and is responsible for the development of a school curriculum.
- Oversee the budget program, acquisitions, and HR services.
- Responsible for complete control, planning, implementing, supervision and coordination safety and the school's Facility Management program.
- Assign, supervise and direct the work of professional, paraprofessional, contract education staff and wage employees.
- Responsible to promote activities for the general welfare, to enhance public relations with the community and public school, and cooperate with other Bureau program personnel including Federal/State officials in administering their programs in the community.
Conditions of Employment:
- US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
- BACKGROUND SECURITY INVESTIGATION WILL BE REQUIRED FOR ALL NEW HIRES
- APPOINTMENT SUBJECT TO A PROBATIONARY PERIOD OF THREE (3) FULL CONTRACT YEARS, WHICH MAY BE EXTENDED
- APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED ONLINE
- CERTIFIED BY STATE DEPT OF EDUCATION AND PRINCIPAL/ADMINISTRATOR/SUPERINTENDENT LICENSE/CERTIFICATION REQUIRED
- TRAVEL AND RELOCATION EXPENSES WILL NOT BE PAID
- INCUMBENT WILL BE REQUIRED TO FILE AN OGE FORM 450
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Applicants must meet the education/qualification requirements contained in the approved job category for P.L. 95-561 positions. For this position, they are listed below.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: Master's Degree with twelve (12) semester hours in School Administration OR a degree in a six (6) year University Administration program.
QUALIFYING EXPERIENCE: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. To be creditable, qualifying experience must have been in school administration, teaching, counseling or other professional education experience.
For Pay Level 08 position: Five (5) years experience in school administration teaching, counseling or other professional education experience. A maximum of three (3) years teaching or counseling experience is creditable toward meeting the full qualification requirement.
BASIS OF RATING: All applicants for this position will be rated and ranked based upon the extent and quality of their experience, training and/or education as reflected in the assessment questionnaire. Applicants will be further evaluated according to the degree to which they possess or have the potential to acquire knowledge, skills, abilities, and personal characteristics as listed below. The judgment of qualifications will be based on the material submitted; therefore, it is to the applicant's advantage to give complete and thorough responses and to present information in a neat and orderly fashion. Qualifications and veteran's preference eligibility will be determined on the basis of information submitted.
Only experience and education obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
Applicants are responsible for providing documentation that the educational requirements have been met. To qualify based on education you must submit a legible copy of your transcripts. Official transcripts are required upon selection if you qualified based on education.
Education must have been obtained from an accredited or pre-accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements if you can show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States.
For further information on creditable education visit:
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume (include the following):
- Work Experience:
- Position title
- Dates of employment (include month/year)
- Hours worked per week
- Current supervisor's name and telephone number
- Duties (please be specific and include any accomplishments)
- References (include complete name and telephone phone number):
- Employer - must be within the past 5 years
- Personal - three (3)
2. Copy of college transcript(s)
3. Copy of valid State Superintendent License/Certification
Other supporting documents:
- Form BIA 4432, Verification of Indian Preference for Employment (required for claiming Indian Preference). The form must be completed by the appropriate official with the federally-recognized tribe where the applicant is enrolled as a member. No other form will be accepted.
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent SF-50, "Notification of Personnel Action" if current or former Federal employee
- DD-214 (member copy 4)
NOTE: Persons submitting incomplete applications will be given credit only for the information they provide. The applicant is responsible for submitting all required documentation in support of their application in order to receive full credit for their Indian preference, veteran preference, experience, training, and/or education. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL NOT BE SOLICITED FROM THIS OFFICE.
DRIVING REQUIREMENT (Required only at time of appointment): Incumbent may be required, as an incidental duty, to operate a government-owned or leased motor vehicle, in the performance of duties, therefore, a valid driver's license is required. Incumbent must have a safe driving record within the three-year period immediately preceding submittal of GSA Form 3607 and be able to meet the safe driving requirements of the Bureau of Indian Education.
FINANCIAL STATEMENT REQUIREMENTS (Required only at time of appointment): The candidate selected for this position must meet conflict of interest requirements of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (Standard Form 450, Executive Branch Confidential Financial Disclosure Report).
How You Will Be Evaluated:
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Results Orientation
- Action Orientation
- Impact and Influence
- Planning and Problem Solving
- Confidence to Develop and Lead High Performing Teams
- School Safety