Special Education Teacher (January 6th, 2020-June 24th, 2020)
Job Title: Special Education Teacher (January 6th, 2020-June 24th, 2020)
FLSA Status: Professional Exempt
Reports to: Learning Support Coordinator, Head of School, and Other Assigned Supervisors
Teachers at Washington Yu Ying are part of a collaborative and supportive faculty with a common goal to continuously improving a great school. Yu Ying PCS School is looking for a creative, passionate, special education teachers.
Staff at Yu Ying are part of a flexible team where they take initiative and are always willing to be a learner. Ideal candidates will possess the following qualities/ skills:
- Demonstrated ability to develop differentiated lesson plans and use instructional tools to meet the needs of students with learning challenges
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with general education teachers and other service providers to ensure the academic and social growth of students
- Demonstrated ability to teach in ways that are interactive, hands-on, project-based, and promote self-discovery and critical thinking
- Demonstrated ability to guide students to achieve high academic expectations
- Clear understanding of curriculum, instruction, and child development
- Demonstrated ability to write and monitor IEPs
- Commitment to meet the needs of every child in a diverse population
- Demonstrated ability to establish an effective and efficient classroom culture
- Capability to nurture students and work collaboratively with families
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to work as a member of a team
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Commitment to develop and contribute to a community of educators
- Flexibility, commitment, and enthusiasm
Candidates should have a master’s degree in special education and at least two years of classroom experience. Urban teaching experience preferred. Candidates must have a passing score on the PRAXIS and have Knowledge about special education regulations, particularly those pertaining to DC schools.
- A competitive salary and benefits package
- The support of welcoming and appreciative students, parents, and colleagues
- A community that supports and promotes a growth mindset that allows every Yu Ying member to grow with one another each day.
- Work/Life balance oriented- every teacher gets 10 personal/sick days a year and Free Fridays throughout the year
- A strong emphasis on growth and support: Yu Ying has several resource rooms, a library, and a teacher workroom
- A dedicated and passionate team of colleagues that value collaboration and growing themselves as educators
- A strong administration team that provides you with exceptional professional development often on the cutting edge of educational theory and philosophy, values teachers, and provides continuous feedback. This includes IB MA and Project Zero.
- A progressive learning environment for students that includes the The International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme to guide you to focus on teaching inquiry and hands on, student centered learning.
Our students will be the leaders of tomorrow because they are learning to think critically, be compassionate, and communicate in English and Mandarin!”
Collaborates and Consults With:
- Teaching Staff
- All Levels of Management
Terms of Employment: January 6th, 2020-June 24th, 2020
The physical demand described below are representative of those must met by an employee to successfully perform the essential responsibilities of the job, and are not meant to be all inclusive. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential responsibilities of the job.
Unless reasonable accommodation can be made, while performing this job, the staff member shall:
- Use physical strength to lift, move, carry, pull or push equipments and/or student(s).
- Sit, stand, walk, and run for required periods of time, according to instruction schedule.
- Speak and hear.
- Use close vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception along with the ability to focus vision.
- Communicate effectively in English, using proper grammar and vocabulary.
- Reach with hands and arms and use hands and fingers to handle objects and operate tools, computers and/or controls.
The environmental demands described below are representative of those must met by an employee to successfully perform the essential responsibilities of the job, and are not meant to be all inclusive.
- Exposure to a variety of childhood and adult diseases and illnesses.
- Occasional exposure to a variety of weather conditions.
- Exposure to heated/air-conditioned and ventilated facilities.
- Exposure to a building in which a variety of chemical substances are used for cleaning, instruction, and/or operation of equipment.
- Function in a workplace with high level of noises at times.