Government Affairs Representative
PROVIDING OPPORTUNITIES THAT BUILD GREAT CAREERS
Government Affairs Representative
Minnkota Power is seeking qualified applicants for Government Affairs Representative to be located in Grand Forks, ND.
Responsible for identifying current and emerging key federal and state public policy issues that affect Minnkota. Represent the interests of Minnkota to external organizations, governmental entities, and legislators and their staff, as directed. Interact with Minnkota internal staff, member systems, member system managers, and statewide rural electric associations. Monitor and analyze federal and state legislative and regulatory issues affecting Minnkota and its member systems.
On-line applications can be found at www.Minnkota.com. Resumes will not be accepted without a completed application.
Education and Training
- Bachelor's degree in political science, communications, business or related area, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Willingness to travel (must possess a valid driver’s license).
- Related experience, including working with federal and state governmental issues preferred
- Energy or electrical cooperative experience desired.
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal legislation and regulations affecting the rural electric utility industry.
Minnkota Power Cooperative is an EEO/AAP/Female/Minority/Disabled/Vets Employer
- Represent the interests of Minnkota to external organizations, governmental entities, and legislators and their staff, as directed.
- Interact with Minnkota internal staff, member systems, member system managers, and statewide rural electric associations as directed and appropriate.
- Assists with monitoring and analyzing federal and state legislative and regulatory issues affecting Minnkota and its member systems.
- Support and maintains a tracking system to provide the status of various issues and positions, both internally and externally, in conjunction with the Senior Manager of External Affairs.
- Assists with writing position papers, letters, and resolutions on various issues and preparing comments and testimony for submission to governmental entities.
- Maintain appropriate contacts with legislative and regulatory officials at the federal and state levels.
- Maintain appropriate contacts with trade associations, attends meetings and represents Minnkota policies.
- Provide input and guidance to member systems on Minnkota issues and developments.
- Undertake special assignments in areas related to external and governmental relations and member programs, as directed.
- Adhere to and demonstrate compliance with appropriate electric utility industry regulatory requirements. Attain knowledge and remain knowledgeable of development in regulations, laws, standards and best practices applicable to the functional area.
- Demonstrate and promote ethics and behaviors consistent with Minnkota’s culture, Board policies, and business practices.
- Flexibility and Adaptability
- Organizational Agility
- Problem Solving
- Time Management
- Written Communication
Physical and Mental Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is primarily required to sit, stand, walk, stoop, bend and frequently utilize a keyboard/computer. Specific vision abilities include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Mental demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent will be required to problem solve, read, write and analyze data, work under schedules and deadline pressure, present information to others, work independently and use discretion and judgment for confidential or sensitive projects/issues.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this position, the employee is exposed to an office environment indoors, and will travel outdoors to multiple locations dependent on work. This position is required to travel.