The Communications Specialist creates informational and promotional copy for college publications, advertisements and social media. The Communications Specialist writes and distributes press releases and maintains a database of media contacts.The position involves completing assigned projects within deadlines, accurately prioritizing tasks and projects, and handling multiple tasks simultaneously. The individual may also be exposed to information that must remain confidential. The Communications Specialist works on a schedule established by the Director of Marketing and PR.
All applicants must submit:
- An online Parkland College employment application.
- Cover Letter
- 3-5 writing samples of work completed in journalism/publicity writing, promotional writing, and social media writing
Essential Job Functions:
- Compile employee information/imagery and write internal monthly newsletter; compile, write and distribute press releases.
- Contribute to the conceptual development of print, digital, and broadcast materials.
- Write, edit, and proofread content used to promote college programs, events and services to both internal and external audiences; ensures messaging is on-brand.
- Collaborate with Marketing & Digital Content Manager to create and update content across various social media platforms.
- Develop and maintain client relationships.
- Administer the College’s blog on the blog content management system; including monitoring blog entries for image needs, curating or creating needed images, and editing/proofreading posts.
- Under the direction of the Director, support media relations efforts of the department by fielding media calls and responding to requests, coordinating interviews as appropriate, and pitching story ideas.
- Coordinate communication between the public and Parkland College faculty as liaison for the Parkland College Speakers Bureau, utilizing database for tracking presenter dates and conducting post-presentation follow-up/evaluation.
- In collaboration with the Graphic Designer-Media Communications, create and update web content on the Parkland College website and portal.
- Assist with the training and supervision of student employees and/or interns.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Advertising, Public Relations, Communications or related field and one year of experience in marketing or preparing promotional copy or an equivalent combination of education and related work experience.
- Functional knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Excellent knowledge of grammar, spelling and vocabulary. Proofreading and editing skills. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail. Excellent brainstorming, writing and editorial experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience creating copy.
- Willingness to embrace feedback and produce revision in a timely manner.
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team.