Process Engineering Intern
With over six decades of business and technical experience in the mining, energy, and infrastructure sectors, we understand that challenges are changing rapidly in every industry. We respond quickly with solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. We draw upon our 9,000 staff with experience in over 150 countries to challenge the status quo and create positive change for our clients, our employees, and the communities we serve.
Hatch is currently seeking Mechanical, Materials, and Chemical Engineers to join their Downstream business unit as a Process Engineering Intern. The Downstream business unit focuses on Rolling and Finishing plants in the Steel and Aluminum sectors. As a Process Engineering Intern, you will be part of an integrated engineering team providing engineering services for large and small capital projects. The Process Engineering Intern will act as a technical resource on challenging projects and will be assigned to work closely with experienced engineers who will provide guidance and mentoring.
- Evaluate Process Alternatives and Equipment/Technology Selection.
- Analyze existing equipment operational data to improve processes (in terms of throughput and/or cost).
- Apply engineering fundamentals to plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate detailed phases of the engineering work.
- Develop piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs) and piping layouts.
- Develop Equipment Specifications and Data Sheets.
- Interface with equipment suppliers throughout bidding processes and equipment engineering.
- Write Process Description and Control Philosophy.
- Work with a cross-discipline team to assist in creating layouts and piping/mechanical detailed design drawings.
- Develop/assemble construction specifications for piping and mechanical equipment.
- Assist with reviews and engineering analysis of concepts, plans, shop drawings, specifications, and operations manuals to ensure that the design is cost effective to build, operate, and maintain.
- Interface with client’s project team to produce technical and commercial documents/presentations for client project approval and presentations.
Education and Experience:
- Must be currently enrolled in and pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Materials Science Engineering.
- Minimum of a cumulative 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Aptitude for working on multi-disciplinary teams
- Commitment to achieving engineering excellence
- Ability to apply technical knowledge to various practical problems
- A desire to learn and continually develop
- Strong personal commitment to safety
- Previous Co-op or Summer Student experience an asset