Assistant Climbing Director
Under the direction and daily supervision of the Full Time Program Director and the Climbing Director, the Assistant Climbing Director assists in coordinating and supervising all aspects of the climbing program, including the climbing towers, High and Low Rope Courses, Vertical Playpen, Obstacle Course elements, Climbing Towers, and the Climbing Staff. The Assistant Climbing Director may serve as a member of the Leadership staff.
1. Adheres and complies with the YMCA of High Point Employee Manual, Policy & Procedures Manual, Code of Conduct and Camp Cheerio Staff Standards & Expectations.
2. Safely and effectively operates and maintains high and low ropes courses.
3. Trains both campers and staff in the philosophy, skills, activities, and safety procedures of High and Low Ropes Courses, Climbing Towers, Vertical Playpen, and Obstacle Course elements.
4. Coordinates and supervises entire Climbing Staff.
5. Sets up and takes down equipment from courses daily.
6. Ensures all repairs on equipment are corrected as needed.
7. Stores equipment in safe, secure area.
8. Manages all paperwork regarding courses (logs, maintenance, schedules, etc.).
9. Checks all equipment for safety defects daily.
10. Keeps courses and surrounding areas clean.
11. Guides group discussions in briefing and debriefing sessions.
12. Keeps accurate inventory of all equipment.
13. Ensures all ACA safety regulations are followed.
14. Maintains fully equipped first aid kit on site.
15. Alerts staff to any concerns regarding course operation or camper performance.
16. Administers course certification program for staff.
17. Performs all administrative staff responsibilities.
18. Administers basic first aid until qualified medical personnel arrive.
19. Serves as an active member of the Leadership Staff, assisting in a weekend camper supervision, evaluations, and participating as a leader in other areas of camp as determined by the Camp Director.
20. Attends all staff meetings and in-service trainings.
21. Conducts behavior at all times in a professional manner to reflect positively on the YMCA.
22. Performs other duties and tasks as requested by immediate supervisor to facilitate efficient and effective operation of the YMCA.
1. Minimum rising Junior in college and/or age equivalent.
2. Current certification in CPR and First Aid.
3. ACCT Certified or equivalent or ability/willingness to obtain certification.
4. Minimum of two years’ experience in high and low ropes and climbing facilities.
Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential job duties. Auditory ability to respond to critical situations. Ability to respond in emergency situations. Ability to stand for long periods of time. Ability to lift and push 50 pounds.