Microbiology and Immunology Ph.D. Program at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center - Shreveport
Diseases caused by bacteria, viruses, protozoa, and other microbial organisms cause widespread suffering throughout the world and in our own communities. At the same time, microbiologists are making breathtaking progress in understanding and combating infectious pathogens through innovative molecular, biochemical, and computational technologies.
The Ph.D. Program in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology at LSUHSC-Shreveport provides rigorous and thorough training for the next generation of scientists. The Program trains the student how to think; to ask questions and to answer them in the laboratory and library; to write and communicate; and to develop into a mature, articulate, and competent biomedical scientist. Important features of the Program:
· Our faculty are internationally recognized and conduct research published in high impact journals.
· A high faculty to student ratio (approaching 1:1) results in a supportive and individualized training environment.
· Coursework is completed in the first year so students can focus early on research.
· No teaching assistantships or other work responsibilities are required for financial support, allowing 100% effort for research.
· Students develop teaching skills in many settings, including in formal seminars and in less formal journal clubs and data meetings (virology, bacteriology). Additionally, workshops on teaching and seminar preparation are a standard part of the curriculum.
· All students gain experience in written scientific communication by writing grants and proposals.
· The Department and the School of Medicine offer state-of-the art core facilities and instrumentation, including two BSL3 laboratories. The LSUHSC library provides instant access to over 4000 online scientific journals.
· The Department hosts an NIH-supported Center for Molecular and Tumor Virology to foster excellence in virology research.
· Students are supported by nationally competitive stipends. Tuition is waived for all full time graduate students in good standing.
· Quality of life in Shreveport is high, but cost of living is low. There are many interesting things to see and do in the area. Click here for more information.
For more information about the Program and application instructions, please visit our website. Only applications submitted through the GradCAS link on our website will be considered.