Registered Nurse - Kirkland - Per-Diem
EXCEPTIONAL CANCER CARE, EXCEPTIONAL NURSES
The Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA), located in Seattle, Washington, is part of a dynamic collaboration among three organizations known nationally and internationally for their patient care and research: Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, University of Washington, and Seattle Children's. Over the past 25 years, these institutions have worked together to support their mission of adult and pediatric oncology patient care services, research and education.
Together, EvergreenHealth and SCCA offer unrivaled care at Halvorson Cancer Center at EvergreenHealth. We provide care that harnesses the powerful science and devoted collaboration through SCCA’s union of Fred Hutch, Seattle Children’s and UW Medicine. It’s a partnership that gives patients at EvergreenHealth’s Halvorson Cancer Center access to the best providers, innovative treatments, and one-of-a-kind clinical trials. At Halvorson Cancer Center, SCCA provides medical oncology and hematology care.
Our nurses are vital to the journey of cancer care. We invite you to explore our career opportunities and apply online for more information.
The Registered Nurse is a member of an interdisciplinary care team. This role provides patient centric care and is primarily responsible for nursing assessment and diagnosis, planning, implementation, and evaluation. Responsibilities include:
- Assesses physical, emotional, social, and spiritual needs and evaluates patients’ adaptation to health changes
- Develops a plan of care based on patients’ disease, symptoms, and response to treatment
- Educates patients, families, and caregivers on disease processes, treatment, side effects and symptom management
- Coordinates with inter-disciplinary team to ensure continuity of care
- Refers patients, families and caregivers as appropriate to other clinical resources/professionals such as social work, home health care, clinical nutrition, etc.
- Implements, evaluates and modifies plan of care
- Integrates research and evidence-based knowledge into clinical practice
- opportunity for cross coverage to additional clinic locations
- Chemotherapy and biotherapy administration if cross trained to cover infusion services
- Nursing degree (Bachelor of Science in Nursing preferred)
- Current Washington State nursing license
- Current BLS AHA Health Provider Card (or equivalent course, such as by the American Red Cross) and renewal required every two years
- Critical thinking; the ability to practice the cognitive skills of analyzing, applying standards, discriminating, information seeking, logical reasoning, predicting, and transforming knowledge
- Ability to develop clinical judgment.
- Time Management skills; the ability to organize and manage time and tasks independently
- Ability to communicate effectively by looking and listening for cues, asking open-ended questions, exploring cues, using pauses, screening responses, and clarifying response.
- Ability to effectively listen by using reflecting, acknowledging, summarizing, empathizing, and paraphrasing skill.
- Ability to effectively provide information by checking what information the person knows already, giving small amounts of information at a time, using clear terms and avoiding jargon, avoiding detail unless it is requested, checking for understanding, and pausing and waiting for a response.
- Two years of nursing experience preferred
- Chemo/Bio Provider Card (or obtain with 30 days of hire)
- Oncology Nurse Certification (or obtain within first year of hire)
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.