Career Peer Advisor Intern - Pomerantz Career Center, 2021-2022
Pomerantz Career Center - Career Peer Advisor 2021-2022
About this Job
The Pomerantz Career Center is seeking motivated, engaging, and professional applicants to be considered for our Career Peer Advisor internship program. Our Peer Advisors are important members of the Pomerantz Career Center team! Peer Advisors provide staffing for our general drop-in services, review resumes and other professional materials, and assist with office outreach efforts. In addition, successful applicants will have the chance to develop advising skills, enhance public speaking ability, network with professionals, and gain useful knowledge for their own career development. This is a paid internship.
· Meet with students individually (either on a drop-in basis or virtually) to help them develop cover letters and resumes, update LinkedIn profiles, practice networking and job searching skills, etc.
· Review student resumes and provide virtual feedback through Handshake
· Assist with office outreach by presenting information to classes and student organizations (will include occasional nights and weekends)
· Help students explore and maximize Pomerantz Career Center resources/website
· Support the center by volunteering at career fairs and other promotional/networking events, when applicable
· Attend weekly staff meetings with other Peers and Peer Manager
· Top-notch customer service and helping skills
· Ability to work and manage schedules autonomously
· Proven ability to demonstrate flexibility and initiative
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
· Must be excited to build liaison relationships across campus for effective outreach/programming
· Creativity and a willingness to be innovative, highly desired
This position will be held for Fall 2021 & Spring 2022 semesters. August 23, 2021-May 6, 2022.
Peer Advisors must also be available for training on August 18-19, 2021.
About the Pomerantz Career Center:
The Pomerantz Career Center mission is to assist the University of Iowa by empowering undergraduate students to become leaders, maximize their potential and achieve success. We accomplish this through professional advising, innovative and experiential education and the development of extraordinary relationships with our stakeholders. More information about our services can be found here: http://careers.uiowa.edu/families/overview-services
About the Position
Duration: August 23, 2021 – May 6, 2022
Training: Student must be able to attend mandatory training sessions that will take place on August 18-19, 2021.