Senior Research Analyst - Central Labs
Are you ready to make a difference for the citizens of Idaho while working for an award-winning state agency?
Idaho Transportation Department currently has an opportunity for a Senior Research Analyst in the Central Labs located in Boise, Idaho. This position will primarily perform statewide materials laboratory technician testing with troubleshooting of hot mix asphalt, asphalt binder, aggregates, soils and geotextiles. Responsibilities also include analyzing, interpreting, and reporting the results. The successful candidate will have experience working in an accredited laboratory performing analytical tests. Ability to read and understand technical documents such as test methods, and the skills to conduct them properly is vital to be operational in this position.
Example of Duties
- Perform a variety of construction testing analyses
- Keep current of the most up to date testing procedures, recommends changes to the test methods
- Generate asphalt pavement and asphalt test-strip design confirmations, make recommendations for approval or rejection, make recommendations on fundamental material property values used to design roadway sections or bridge foundations
- Research new test methods and test equipment for utilization in the laboratory
- Receive samples from districts and contractors, maintaining chain of custody and inventory requirements
- Prepare test reports, review data entry for accuracy and compliance with specification standards, interpret test results and determine trends in the data
- Respond to requests for information on previous and in-progress analyses
- Maintain a safe and clean laboratory environment
- Demonstrate procedures for observation by auditors from regulatory bodies, ensure that the Central Laboratory maintains its licensure as an AASHTO/CCRL certified laboratory
- Perform regular maintenance and calibration of laboratory instruments and equipment
- Statewide resource for the Department, Consultant and Contractor staff
- Other duties as assigned
Good knowledge of:
- Research methods;
- Principles of statistics;
- Sampling theory and probability theory.
- Writing analytical (research) reports or materials;
- Compiling and analyzing statistical data and drawing conclusions;
- Using statistical software or spreadsheet software to perform statistical analysis;
- Interpreting and communicating (orally and in writing) statistical material into information usable by a target audience.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Possession OR ability to obtain WAQTC licensure
- Previous work experience in a laboratory or analytical environment
- College degree OR coursework in chemistry, geology, physics engineering or mathematics
- Bonus: knowledge of Department of Transportation material test procedures