Busey Leadership Development Institute
Busey’s Leadership Development Institute provides a unique and comprehensive learning experience focused on Commercial Banking and Wealth Management by engaging participants in an intensive 24-month training track through our highest revenue producing business lines, learning how to drive value and create meaningful impact.
The innovative curriculum and experiences provide candidates foundational skills and specialized insight into Commercial Banking and Wealth Management at Busey while immersing participants into our relationship-focused culture—ultimately developing a strong associate who understands customer needs and can deliver compelling strategies and solutions through a personalized, holistic review of the client.
During the program, you will be based in our corporate headquarters in Champaign, Illinois, the foundation of Busey’s 150+ year history, and an intentional arrangement that offers exposure to Busey’s executive and senior leadership. You will also have opportunities to travel to other markets across the Busey footprint and interact with associates amongst all business lines through formal rotations and day-to-day responsibilities performing the Credit Analyst and Financial Planning functions.
The newest cohort of Busey’s Leadership Development Institute will begin in early June 2023. “Bridge” employment opportunities are available leading up to the program start for those who are eligible.
Career paths following program graduation are in either Commercial Banking or Wealth Management, with roles such as a Commercial Portfolio Manager or a Wealth Advisor Planner, leading to future opportunities as a Commercial Relationship Manager, Private Wealth Advisor or Fiduciary Advisor. These roles are based across Busey’s various markets and individual placement will be subject to business need at that time.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Commercial/Credit experience offers a structured credit training program, where participants develop an understanding of credit products, lending practices, and financial analysis. Participants will work on live commercial loan requests alongside commercial lenders across Busey’s footprint, serving customers in a variety of different industries
- Wealth Management experience offers a training program that provides substantial exposure to talented teams leading specialized functions. Participants will earn their Wealth Management Specialist (WMS) designation and gain the knowledge required to successfully prepare a financial plan including data gathering, analyzing and writing summary statements, and presenting to both clients and prospects
- Curriculum Rotations: Participants will be introduced to the company’s products, services and processes that will foster the skills and knowledge needed to make valuable contributions to our company
- Commercial rotations include departments like relationship and treasury management, service support and compliance, loan review and special assets
- Wealth Management rotations include wealth and fiduciary advisors, investment and retirement plan services, private client managers and compliance teams
- Other department rotations include personal banking and various back-office functions like operations, IT, risk and finance
WHAT YOU WILL BRING
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- An interest in working in the Commercial Lending and Wealth Management industries
- Self-motivated and competitive with a high degree for attention to detail and accuracy, strong organization, and time management skills
- Ability to grow a balanced network and build relationships across the organization – allowing for deeper enrichment and understanding of all bank functions
- Basic/intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook and ability to learn Busey’s core systems
EDUCATION, TRAINING & STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Economics, Accounting, Financial Planning & Services or other business-related graduate
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher is preferred
- Participation in community or school-based organizations or equivalent work experience
- Flexibility to travel within Busey’s markets including but not limited to: Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, and Florida
Busey believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
Equal Opportunity Employment is a priority for Busey and all qualified applicants will receive consideration regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and expression), marital status, military status, veterans status, citizenship status, disability, order of protection or any other characteristic protected by applicable law or other non-merit based factors.