Business Process Excellence Intern – Summer 2023
Business Process Excellence Intern – Summer 2023
Who We Are
WPS Health Solutions is a leading not-for-profit health insurer in Wisconsin. Our services offer health insurance plans for individuals, families, seniors, and group plans for small to large businesses. We process claims and provide customer service support for beneficiaries of the Medicare program and manage benefits for millions of active-duty and retired military personnel across the U.S. and abroad. In 2021, WPS Health Solutions celebrated 75 years of making health insurance easier for those we serve. Proud to be military and veteran ready.
WPS’ Performance-Based Culture is where the great work and innovations of our people are seen, fueled, and rewarded. We accomplish this by creating an inclusive, empowering employee experience, focusing on People, Work, and Conditions. This results in people bringing their authentic selves to work every day in an organization that successfully adapts to business changes and new opportunities. We are guided by our Purpose: Together, making health care easier for the people we serve.
In 2021 and 2022, WPS Health Solutions was recognized for several awards including:
- Madison, Wisconsin’s Top Workplaces
- Top Workplace national cultural excellence awards for Remote Work and Work-Life Flexibility
- Achievers 50 Most Engaged Workplaces® with the further honor of Achievers “Elite 8” winner in the category of Culture Alignment
The Internship Program with WPS Health Solutions is comprised of four key components. WPS interns will primarily focus on the responsibilities within their functional areas, as it relates to their respective field of study. In a group setting, interns will collaborate on the “Pay-It-Forward Project” – the development of a resource to be utilized for future program participants. The third component relates to exposure to corporate culture and training to aid in future career successes. At the conclusion of the program, interns will participate in a final presentation for senior executives by showcasing their experience in the program and functional areas.
The Business Process Excellence Team: Let's face it, transformation is hard, transformation in business is full of disruption and inevitable change. Health Insurance is evolving rapidly. It's not enough to win today, we need to be able to continue to win in the future. This means WPS needs to evolve alongside, or even ahead of, the Health Insurance market. Our team focuses on unlocking new opportunities to eliminate disruptions and deliver efficiencies to make WPS a better version of itself. We are a highly visible team dedicated to finding simple, cost efficient, and effective solutions to obstacles blocking success.
What you will do as a Business Process Excellence Intern:
- Learn and utilize improvement methodologies to drive improvements that leverage best practices
- Document process maps by conducting cross functional process discovery sessions
- Create trainings and process awareness content as needed
- Engage in Change Management activities to aid in technology and process adoption
- Uses acquired knowledge and skills to carry out and complete project activities
- Attend staff meetings and serve on project teams as required
- Maintain knowledge and ensure the protection of hardware/software system security policies, practices, and requirements
- Maintain knowledge and ensure compliance of company policies and procedures
How do I know this opportunity is right for me? If you:
- You are a thought leader and know how to mentor and engage teams.
- You communicate in a way that allows all levels of staff and management to participate effectively in various conversations.
- You have the ability to interpret a variety of instructions that may be provided in various forms.
- You have strong organization, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Enjoy creating and managing projects
What will I gain from this role?
- Gain networking skills with upper level and executive leadership.
- Learn a great deal and develop a well-rounded business toolkit that will serve you well wherever you go.
- Learning what it is like to work in a corporate environment
- Gaining valuable experience that aligns with your career goals
- Working in a continuous performance feedback environment.
- Be currently pursuing a degree in higher education or recent graduate
- Have experience with Microsoft Office (i.e., Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Rising juniors and seniors working towards a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Industrial Engineering, Operations and Technology Management, or Organizational Development.
- Top-tier academic performance
- Preferred: at least one year previous intern experience
This role is open to 100% remote work for this opportunity in the following approved states:
Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Virginia, Wisconsin
To help strengthen communication, provide a sense of community, and improve the overall remote work experience, the assigned office community based on the position’s division is: Green Bay, Wisconsin
- The base pay offered for this position may vary within the posted range based on your job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
- Innovative professional and cognitive development programs
- Competitive paid time off
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)