GENERAL SUMMARY: The Communications Specialist promotes the City of Dubuque and its services and programs to Dubuque residents and stakeholders. This position works collaboratively with other Public Information Office staff and City department/division staff to develop, implement, and manage communications strategies and associated content, materials, and events. The ideal candidate possesses the ability to follow a management style that is input-oriented and values problem solving and the development of partnerships; the ability to work effectively as a member of a team; and the desire to be part of an organization that values service, people, integrity, responsibility, innovation and teamwork.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: Work in this class involves the performance of difficult and varied communications and administrative duties. The employee is required to exercise independent judgment. Position will report to the Public Information Officer and work with a variety of City staff.
- Administers multiple social media channels based on audience and engagement analytics.
- Develops and implements communication plans and strategies.
- Provides information and educational materials to residents and stakeholders through media releases, publications, digital content, and advertisements.
- Collaborates with other staff on outreach and marketing activities.
- Composes and edits content for publications, videos, social media, and website.
- Promotes City services, programs, activities, projects, and initiatives.
- Plans, promotes, and conducts special events.
- Works with outside vendors to ensure marketing material is ordered, produced, and accurate according to specifications.
- Compiles statistical data and reports on message/outreach effectiveness.
- Respond to written and verbal inquiries and requests for service from residents and stakeholders.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- English Language: Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including Associated Press (AP) Style, the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media: Knowledge of media and publication production, communication strategies, and dissemination techniques and methods including alternative ways to inform diverse audiences via multiple media.
- Marketing: Knowledge of principles and methods for promoting and publicizing services and programs including marketing strategies and tactics.
- Customer and Personal Service: Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services including customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Writing: Preparing concise and understandable messages for diverse audiences.
- Time Management: Managing your time and the time of other people.
- Critical Thinking: Thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem.
- Judgment and Decision Making: Thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one.
- Complex Problem Solving: Noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it.
- Creativity, Originality and Fluency of Ideas: Creating new and original ideas.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, multimedia, marketing, journalism, English, or related fields.
- One to three years of experience in communications, marketing, media relations, or journalism, or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Graphic design skills and proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse population.
- Additional years of relevant experience in communications, marketing, or related field.
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT: Employee shall establish their principal place of residence within thirty (30) miles of the corporate limits of the city of Dubuque as soon as practicable after appointment, but within two years of appointment.
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
The City of Dubuque provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. We encourage applications from minorities, women, the disabled, protected veterans and all other qualified applicants.