A Como Zoo Animal Care internship will provide hands on learning opportunities for college students interested in pursuing a zoo career. The internship will provide a unique opportunity for students to work side by side with zookeepers to understand the husbandry and management of zoo species.
Under the guidance of zookeepers, interns will acquire practical experience in the areas of animal husbandry, training, enrichment, enclosure maintenance, and animal observation. Our internships typically run for a minimum of 10 weeks and a minimum of approximately 20 hours per week during the school year or 32 hours per week during the summer (schedules will include weekend and holiday hours). Schedule is determined by the staff in each area.
General Requirements to be aware of for Zoo placements:
- Receive college credit for the internship (Currently be in a degree program in zoology, biology or a related field)
– Be able to lift 50 pounds
– Fulfill hourly requirements
– Schedules will include weekend and holiday hours
– A negative TB test and a Hepatitis B vaccination are required to work in the Primate area.
– As a matter of policy and procedure, interns will not be able to touch or hand-feed animals
Please visit our website at www.comozooconservatory.org for the most current list of zoo internship opportunities.
Deadlines for applications:
Summer semester: March 10th
Fall semester: August 10th
Winter Semester: November 10th